Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Pinteresting Now Takes on DIY Beauty, Fashion and Health

Fashion and Health
The social media platform Pinterest is an incredible source for well, anything you'd ever want to know. With so many categories to browse through, you can easily spend hours perusing the website. I know I have spent more time than I'd be willing to admit pinning fashion ideas, hair, and beauty tips in my favorite area of all, DIY. If you haven't checked out the website already, be prepared to spare at least an hour of your time because it really is an endless treasure trove of inspiring things.
Hair and Beauty
Again, my favorite part of Pinterest is their DIY category and this certainly extends to areas of hair and beauty. I have never been too creative with my own hairstyles, but with step-by-step instructions at my fingertips, I figured why not give it a try? There are so many great tips, it's hard to find something that doesn't appeal to me. With Pinterest, everything that's there has already been pre-filtered by the members that post them to the site. This saves me so much time from scouring the Internet myself.
My favorite things to look at in hair and beauty are pins that aim at taking the mysticism out of seemingly hard to achieve looks. For instance, the hair bow, which I was able to recreate in a matter of minutes on the first try. Other favorites in these categories include ways to maintain your cosmetics and skincare products. The other day I just found a way to repair my broken compact powders and eye shadows by simply breaking it apart, adding alcohol and letting them dry.
Fashion
I have so many items on my to-do list of DIY fashion projects. In fact after discovering so many brilliant ideas on Pinterest, a friend of mine and I are planning to designate an entire day to crafting. One of my favorite ideas is to create your own studded garments, simply by gluing on the pieces yourself. I plan to do this with a pair of old shoes that could definitely use some updating. I myself have no skill whatsoever with a sewing machine, but for those of you that are, Pinterest has tons of posts on how to create your own stylish clothes.
I managed to preserve a favorite bra of mine that had it's under wire protruding from the side by using a really simple method. I used some strips of moleskin that I bought at the drugstore and applied them sparingly to the problem area. The strips have the same sort of texture and color that my bra has so it blended in well and did a great job of preventing any further damage (to me and my bra).
Health
I have found a ton of interesting tips to improve the health of my skin. Most of the things posted on the site are either free or very inexpensive, which I of course love. This includes an acne spot treatment and/or mask that consists of dissolved aspirin and water that supposedly reduces redness and swelling associated with acne as well as prevents any future outbreaks.